Amir And Neha

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Amir was my best friend. He thought he would marry Neha because they were in love. On the day he discussed about it with his parents, none was in his favor. The decision shattered him. He became down but never out.

He dedicated his time to his work. He became less talkative, less social, and more works and read many books. He did not care people praising him and neither did he care on criticisms too. These earned him name and when his name was called for the outstanding performance of the organization there was not a gist of happiness shown in his expression.

He met Neha during their internship. The work atmosphere brought them together. Their fluency and command in English kept them at nights to deal with companies overseas. In between the coffees they got to know each other at a snail pace rate. When they got the orders of extended probation, they had already fallen in love.

Amir was from a Punjabi family, a sikh, two brothers; one in India and other in UK. However, Neha refused to tell anything from her side.

It was painful for me to lose my friend. He was walking away from me. Once a jolly dashing man becoming a self prisoner, I knew I had to find out the truth.


Neha was born into a life none would ever want. In the small village of Bhur in Gujurat, anyone of her age dreamt to be in her place. She was in school; the place she hated most. Teachers considered her as complete introvert but her infrequent behavior puzzled them too. She could neither read nor write but always brought good marks in the exams. She lived with a dreadful secret, the secret which paralyzed her literally. At 16 she was pregnant by her step father. Her mother hated her so much that she ran away to her father in Gujurat. The love of her father and her unshakeable determination turned to a beautiful Neha intellectually and physically.

I called Amir to my place. I poured some brandy for us. I mustered the courage, avoided his eyes and told him the story I found out. Without speaking anything, emptied the glass, took his jacket and said he was gone.

Three days later, I received an invitation card of his marriage to Neha. It was a grand wedding with everyone present, his colleagues and his parents.

When I saw Amir’s father approaching me, I felt lump in my chest. Upon greeting, he shook my hand, patted my back and took me to introduce his friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
◄Design by Pocket